Job Opportunity: Organization Secretary /Head of Human Resources
Women Environmental Programme (WEP) seeks to urgently hire an “OrganizationSecretary/Head of Human Resources” who will be responsible for ensuring that the organization complies with standard financial and legal practices and maintains high standards of corporate governance. Although, not strictly required to provide legal advice, he/she must have a good understanding of the laws that affect the areas of operation of the organization.
He/She, will hold a strategic central position at the heart of governance operations within the organization and will act as a point of communication between the board of directors, organization’s executive management, staff and organizations stakeholders.
As the organization’s secretary/Head of Human Resources, you’ll need to:
- Report to the Deputy Executive Director
- As delegated by the Executive Director He/She would serve as the Secretary to the board
- Performs a variety of secretarial duties such as drafting and typing routine correspondence, arranging meetings and taking minutes, organize and prepare agendas and papers for board meetings, committees and annual meetings (AMs)
- Take minutes as delegated by the Executive Director, draft resolutions, and lodge required forms and annual returns with the CAC, Inland Revenue for employee taxes and others
- Follow up on actions from meetings through the office of the ED
- Maintain statutory books, including registers of members and directors
- Contribute to meeting discussions as and when required, and advise management of the legal, governance, accounting and taxation issues of the implications of proposed policies
- Monitor changes in relevant legislation and the regulatory environment and take appropriate action
- Develop and oversee the systems that ensure the organization complies with all applicable codes, in addition to its legal and statutory requirements
- Monitor the administration of the organization’s pension scheme
- Oversee and renew insurance cover for employees, equipment and premises
- Advice on contractual agreement with donors, partners, suppliers and customers
- Manage office space and property as well as deal with personnel administration
- Oversee implementation of policy on recruiting, training and developing staff
- Monitoring staff performance and attendance
- Advising line managers and other employees on employment law and the employer’s own Employment policies and procedures
Negotiable and depends on qualification and experience
The work is mainly office based. Company secretaries generally work normal office hours, although it may be necessary to work longer hours to accommodate lengthy meetings and to complete reports, such as the company annual report, for regulatory deadlines.
What to expect
- Work is mainly office based, however, travel outside of office might be expected.
- Formal business wear is generally expected.
- WEP is a small organization and therefore efficiency is required for the organization to attain its set targets.
Although this area of work is open to all graduates, the following subjects may be preferred and can offer some exemptions from the professional examinations:
- Trained in Human Resources Management
- Business and management
A good honours degree/HND and good interpersonal skills is required. Those who have retired and want to offer this services not necessary for career development can also apply. Membership with the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) would be an added advantage and a minimum of 5 years’ experience is required for this position.
You will need to have:
- Must be computer literate and can operate mircosoft word and application package such as excel, power point, publisher, access etc
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with people at all levels
- Attention to detail and a well-organised approach to work
- The ability to prioritize work and to work well under pressure
- The capability to work with numerical information, plus analytical and problem-solving skills
- A diplomatic approach and the confidence to provide support to high-profile organization staff and board members
- Management skills
- Team-working skills
- Integrity and discretion when handling confidential information
- A sound grasp of corporate governance issues
Candidates applying must uphold the principles of Non-Discrimination and gender equality noting that WEP is an equal employer.
The call for application is open from 21st January 2019 through 4th February 2019
No phone calls will be accepted and only applications sent through this medium and at the stated period that will be assessed.